Festive, Food and Fundraising!

Thanks guys for the support!
Gosh it seems like a lifetime ago but I have had word that "Tri-ing 4 the Rovers" raised £110 for Raith! Thank you to all those helped me across the line in the Garmin 2012 Barcelona Triathlon!

Well it is that time of year again when bad taste jumper are the best thing in fashion and socks are your number 1 gift, yes guys it is Christmas. I am finding it a bit hard to get in the festive spirit but I am sure that will change.

Anyhooo we are here to read the latest "Paella and Bovril" so enjoy.

This was first seen in the Rovers match day programme of the 8th December 2012 when Raith had a 6 goal thriller against Morton ending in a point each.




-->
Paella and Bovril



When you are away from you homeland you do try sometimes to recreate a wee bit of home.  I have been known to smuggle a haggis thru customs for a Burns Night supper and will spend a month trying to feed a whole bottle of brandy to a traditional Christmas cake. Of course I do not keep these delights for myself I share them with my multi-national friends.  Within our group we have a few Americans and they decided to introduce us to Thanksgiving. So on the fourth Thursday in November we make a turkey with trimmings of mashed potato, macaroni cheese, pumpkin pies and gravy. After we have tucked into the food and tested the wine was ok it is time to say goodbye and toddle home, the Thanksgiving football games are on.



I have in the past few years watched some American football but never live on TV and very rarely see the build up.  Now I was aware that the states did things BIG and that they loved their cars, sports and meat, but I never thought they would combine all these things into a super-sized social event.  I could not believe what I was seeing, thousands of people, meeting up in the stadiums’ car park to have a BBQ. Now being the US of A some of these BBQs were humungous! Out of the boots of their cars these people were cooking, carving, consuming massive steaks, burgers and I have never seen so many sausages in one place. Some had even set up to spit-roasting turkeys whilst baking potatoes round the open flames. Beer kegs were stacked SUV high, tailgate party was in full swing. Not bad I thought for a wee bit traditional pre-match grub, and we all like a wee bite at the football some more than others. When I come back to visit Scotland it is always a coincidence that a Raith happening to be playing. In between the catching up with family and friends I drag the other half along to a game.  As we walk up to the stadium the talk moves away from football talk to food talk, what we going to treat ourselves with? Camp Nou might have Messi, but it does not have a macaroni pie! After one of our trips home one Christmas upon being asked, “What was the best bit of your holiday” my boyfriend replied “the pie at the football”, we have traveled all this way and meat filled bit of pastry gets the glory.



Food has become a big part of our game and not just which club will win the title of best pie. While the professional players have swapped the pre match fry-up for a plate of whole-wheat pasta the fan in the stand still munches on their pies.   Over the years football clubs have become healthier, players diets are now closely monitored and some clubs are spending big money on getting the right nutrition.  Some clubs have tried to filter this down to the food on the terraces. Man City has taken the advice of several high-class chefs to help prepare a match day menu, not just fancy corporate meals for the big spenders in the boxes but the snacks in the stands.  Some English lower division clubs who do not have the money of the Manchester clubs have removed burgers and chips and replaced it with pasta and salad. Is this the end for the football pie?  Maybe next time I catch a Raith match I will be grabbing a pre-match hummus and carrot sticks and a half-time portion of paella!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formulaic fun

The wheels on the bus go round and maybe more £s

day out at the football!